Is there a standard contract I can use with my designer?

When you have selected your designer, it is important to define the terms of the appointment with a signed agreement. Your designer might have a standard letter that they use, or you can use a ‘Standard Form of Appointment’. The RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects) publish and sell a good selection of Standard Forms of Appointment for Architects, Interior Designers (BIID) and Landscape Designers (Landscape Institute).

Have more questions? Submit a request


  • 1
    Glen Smith

    The Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT) Code of Conduct also requires its Members to formally define the terms of their appointment by means of entering into a signed agreement. The CIAT Confirmation of Instructions & Conditions of Engagement documentation, are the preferred method of doing so.

    However, the Chartered Architectural Technologists also endorse & are also permitted to use the RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects) Standard Forms of Appointment.

    Edited by Glen Smith
Please sign in to leave a comment.